The Sterilight Drinking Water Ultra Violet Disinfection System is a newer product on the market but with a little guidance you can change your own filters, UV bulb and clean the glass sleeve. Caution: you will not be able to use any water in your house until this process has been completed, so before you start, plan accordingly.
1) The first step is to make sure you have everything ready. You will need a bucket, a clean cloth, some CLR or a similar cleaning product, the correct size replacement filters and Ultra Violet bulb and a spare glass sleeve just in case the old one cannot be thoroughly cleaned or gets broken. You will also need another ½ bucket or so of clean water for washing out the filter housings.
2) Turn off the water supply before the Ultra Violet System and open a tap downstream of the UV unit to release the pressure and then close the tap. Close a ball valve after the UV to keep the water from flowing backward through the UV.
3) Unplug the power supply and let the system cool for 10 minutes or so. Remove the lamp connector by sliding the metal retaining ring away from the body of the connector.
4) Lift the connector and remove the bulb as one unit making sure to lift it straight up and out of the mounting bracket. As you are lifting the ballast with the bulb attached be sure to grab the bulb with your other hand with a cloth to make sure it does not come loose from the ballast and fall into the glass sleeve breaking it. Disconnect the old bulb from the connector. Do not twist the lamp just slide it away from the connector.
5) Loosen the drain plug and drain the complete UV, replace drain plug. Now loosen all of the sumps with the wrench and unscrew each of the sumps by hand. Be careful as they are quite heavy when full of water.
6) Clean inside all sumps with soapy water and rinse well before replacing the filters. Close housings by tightening canister, usually hand tight is enough.
7) Remove the glass sleeve by pulling straight up and clean with CLR or a similar product. If the sleeve cannot be completely cleaned, you will need to replace the sleeve with a new one. Replace the glass sleeve into the UV chamber and install a lubricated (with silicone seal) o-ring.
8) Grab the new bulb with a cloth and make sure it is pushed straight into the glass sleeve until just a couple inches is showing above the mounting bracket then push connector onto bulb. Make sure the bulb is on tight enough so that it will not fall out from its own weight. Carefully lower the bulb into the glass sleeve and tighten the retaining clip to hold the connector to the aluminum retaining nut.
9) Hold down the "RESET" switch while reapplying power to the controller until you see "rSEt". A 5 second delay will occur until you hear an audible tone & LED display will read 365. Once you hear the tone, let go of the switch and the counter will be reset.
10) Slowly refill system by opening ball valve ahead of the UV and check for leaks. Slowly open ball valve after UV. Once fully pressurized, you can fully open the ball valves before and after the UV system.
11) Drain the first two gallons of water that comes through the UV.
Shop Sterilight DWS Replacement Lamp & Sleeve
For more great information about water treatment, subscribe!